Friday, November 30, 2012

Day of Kindness

First off, I apologize for taking so long to write this post.  I have really been struggling over whether or not to even post about what we did for my birthday because I didn't want it to come off as me looking for a pat on the back for "all the nice things" we did.  I don't want to take away from how much that day meant to me by flaunting it.

 Because that day of kindness was truly the best birthday I have ever had.  It was so fun looking for ways to go the extra mile.  I was caught off-guard by how people's reactions affected me.  I was brought near tears many times throughout the day.  And then to think that so many of you reached out on that same day made me feel so happy.

I'd like to share my two favorite "random acts" and then also let you know what others sent to me that day via text, facebook, email, twitter and in person to let me know how the kindness was spreading.

1. I made two dinners for two families in Anna's class who have new babies at home.  These were by far my favorite reactions of the day.  I've been on the receiving end of this and know how much a pre-made meal can mean after a night of no sleep and a long day of demanding kids, housework, etc.  It made me happy to pay this one forward.

2. The kids and I took cupcakes to the fire station down the street from our house.  The fire fighters were so sweet, talking with both Anna and Henry, and invited us to come back when it's a bit warmer to look at the fire trucks.  Just made me want to cook for them even more!

Some of the acts of kindness sent to me by others (and some of the rest of mine mixed in):

  • Returning shopping carts (in a snow storm, no less!)
  • Buying a friend a shot of tequila
  • Surprise deliveries of baked goods
  • Holding doors open for people (this was Anna's - she made a point to open and hold every door for me the whole day)
  • Paying for the next person in line at the drive-thru
  • Sharing a parking pass with a stranger
  • Offering a shopping cart to someone at Aldi so they could save their quarter
  • Treating a friend (or a stranger) to lunch
  • Showing a bit of extra appreciation for a server
  • Surprise flowers for a friend
I'd also like to offer a very special thanks to the friend who dropped by in the afternoon, unexpectedly, and offered me the opportunity to take a nap.  A nap!!  I got to take a nap on my birthday and it was fabulous.

Did you commit a random act of kindness in November?  What did you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment