Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Great Milwaukee Race

As a self-proclaimed "die-hard Milwaukee fan," I was proud to participate yesterday in the Great Milwaukee Race. One hundred teams gathered downtown at AJ Bombers where we were given a packet of clues and sent on a scavenger hunt-style race around downtown Milwaukee.


Our team posing with the Bronze Fonz statue on the Riverwalk.

I was a last-minute fill-in on my friend Amy's team. I don't think I ever would have signed up on my own. I have been running for about 2 months now, training for a 5K, but mostly to slim down for our Hawaii trip in November. When Amy asked if I would want to fill the vacant spot, I impulsively said "sure" and then proceeded to freak out for the rest of the day. At most, I'd covered 3 miles at a crack before yesterday. After yesterday: 9.5 miles. It was SO MUCH FUN!!!

We received a packet of 10 clues at the start and were told to plan the most efficient route to hit each stop. There were challenges waiting for us at each destination: a game of giant jacks, a potato sack race, a marshmallow relay.



The team posing right near the War Memorial. I love the Art Museum in the background.

Our team had decided that having fun was goal number one, but that we'd also really like to at least finish the race within time limits. So naturally, I led them immediately a mile in the wrong direction (they were extremely forgiving!).



Our team in front of one of the "bonus" signs we had to watch out for throughout the race.

We got turned around a couple of times, and had the assistance of a very kind green team right at the end, but we did it! We found our way all around downtown, had a GREAT workout and really enjoyed eachother's company for the morning (I suppose I should say I enjoyed their company - and hope they also enjoyed mine!). I can't wait to sign up again next year!

Amy, Becky and Kristi, Thank you all again for inviting me to join your team yesterday! I had a blast!

Yesterday was another huge reminder to me of two things:

1. Milwaukee is an awesome city. The beautiful places are both obvious and also tucked away. Hit up the Riverwalk or take a walk down by Lake Michigan. Bike the Oak Leaf Trail. Just walk through the Third Ward. There's a TON to see and do downtown, especially in the summer!

2. I am capable of so much more than I believe. My mind stands in the way of my body a lot of the time. Never in my life would I have believed that I could have gone 9.5 miles in a morning. I'm definitely signing up for my first 5K this summer.


Me in the marshmallow relay - our last challenge of the race.

2 comments:

  1. HOORAY! I'm excited for you and so happy you can have that feeling of empowerment that comes from pushing your limits and succeeding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth! I'm really looking forward to my next challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete