Sunday, September 20, 2009

Excuse Me, Sir, But Do You Have a Tranq Dart?

We made it, with minimal carnage...but we made it nonetheless. Here's a brief overview of my Saturday:

5:00 a.m. wake up to get ready to leave for airport
6:15 a.m. depart for airport
7:00 a.m. unload car - my God, whose stuff IS this? Do we really need 5 bags, a purse, a stroller, a carseat AND a baby? Let's leave the baby...
7:30 a.m. arrive at security - again, do we REALLY need all this crap? Hubby gets an extra pat-down after his camera equipment sets off an alarm during the scan.
7:40 a.m. arrive at gate. Where the hell did the baby wander off to? Oh, there she is, giving her baby doll to that crazy looking dude by the newspaper stand....we are AWESOME parents.
8:15 a.m. board plane amid glares that truly say "Your kid better sleep through this flight or we're going to have a hit out on you when we reach our destination."
8:30 a.m. Take off - hey, this isn't so bad. Flying...Flying...bribery with cheerios, muffins, dolls, books, finger puppets, kids videos, etc. This really isn't as bad as I expected.
10:30 a.m. Oh wait, Yes, this IS as bad as I expected.
10:45 a.m. Kind, young flight attendant stops and asks if there's anything he can do to help with the baby, I resist the urge to ask for a tranquilizer dart or parachute.
11:21 a.m. Anna falls asleep nine minutes before tires hit tarmac.
11:30 a.m. We arrive at our destination nearly an hour EARLIER than anticipated - SCORE!!!

I shudder to think what that flight would have been like without my husband. I shudder to think what our return flight WILL BE LIKE without him....Oy.

Ok, really it wasn't that bad. She was fussy, but consolable for the first two hours. We managed to keep her entertained with the various items we had in our arsenal of baby gear. The problem really started when we began our descent. We are all still battling colds and our sinuses and ears were throbbing .

However, as Anna fell asleep, the guy across the aisle started to laugh at the face I must have made. I struck up a small conversation with him which ended with him saying, "You guys are really doing a great job keeping her happy during the flight." Which immediately alleviated any stress I was feeling about her 45 minute screaming fit.

I'm SO drinking wine on the return flight.


  1. Sounds like an eventful least you got a compliment from another passanger. What trip are you taking? Hope your return flight is peaceful, or that you can at least laugh about it and write a great blog post. :)Melissa

  2. good thing you're not driving home when you get back and that you have an awesome sister-in-law to pick you guys up! :)