Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sleepless Nights

Well we've had plenty of tales of cheerios here, I suppose it was time for some tales of sleepless nights.

Anna has bronchitis and pneumonia. And for the last 3 nights she hasn't slept if she hasn't been on my chest (though she did snuggle with hubby quite a bit last night).

For 3 nights in a row I've gotten less than 4 hours of sleep and I've suddenly remembered why it was so hard with a newborn baby. It wasn't the baby that was difficult, it was my inability to rationally function on so little sleep. That said, I feel like I've done a reasonable job of staying calm and alert (and still managing to get work and home stuff done during this past week).

I took her to the doctor on Wednesday and he ordered a chest xray. Ha. It was a wrestling match that required precision...and sandbags and LOTS of masking tape. Yep, they taped my poor kid to the table. I was pretty proud that she kept managing to wriggle free from whatever they tried to do to keep her still. My little one is a fighter.

She's been running a fever and has pretty much just lived on my shoulder for the last 3 days. I'd be lying if I didn't say I love all the sick baby cuddles I've gotten this week. I finally got her to eat a little chicken soup and drink some apple juice yesterday. We also got antibiotics yesterday.

And our house suddenly transformed into a scene from the Exorcist, complete with pure white medicine spraying from Anna's screaming mouth all over her bedroom wall, where it immediately began to harden.

I was so proud this morning because I got her to take some Motrin off of a spoon. It was unfortunately a tactic that only worked once and we are now back to the "pin 'er down and force it down 'er throat" approach. Not cool.

I had planned to write something else here too tonight, but I'm so tired that I can't remember what it was. Here's hoping she sleeps a little better tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment