Sunday, January 31, 2010

Slow Down!

As I'm cleaning up the house from what looks like a cheerio factory/Toys R Us simultaneous EXPLOSION, and thinking that exactly 18 months ago at this very moment, my body was doing miraculous things and I was pushing that baby out (or pushing a coconut through a tube of toothpaste, as I used to say). A year and a half ago! It feels both much longer and much shorter than that in my memory.

Do you remember as a kid wishing that you were just a little older so you could go to the movies with your friends by yourself, drive, go on dates, etc? And it seemed as though the clocks and calendars of the world were conspiring against you to move extra slowly.

And then suddenly one day, pop! Out comes a baby. And the exact opposite happens. The hands of the clock are suddenly hyper-caffeinated, flying around in circles so fast that you fear they may fly off and hit you in the face. I feel like I'm constantly wishing for one more minute, one more hour, one more day. But no amount of digging my heals in slows the time down.

I can only imagine that time's speed will double when we decide to go for baby #2. I'm going to be in a wheel chair, spying on my neighbors through the curtains and drinking nothing but prune juice before I know it.

4 comments:

  1. Time sure does fly by. Can you believe that high school was 10 years ago!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right that with age (and kids) time seems to morph into this freight train that can't be stopped or even slowed down. If I can offer any advice from my "wheelchair", it would be to just pay attention to the moment because in the twinkling of an eye, they are grown and reflecting on THEIR babies growing up...so all you can do is hang on for the ride, love every stage, and be grateful that you were able to experience being a mom~it's such an amazing gift! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to check on my neighbors and have a glass of prune juice! :) Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Staci- no, I can't believe it's been 10 years already but I am super excited for the reunion next summer!

    @Billie- you are about as close to a wheel chair as I am, but I'll forgive you the prune juice if it's a favorite drink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Billie said. Enjoy the ride, even on those days when things seem uphill. Every stage has its own miracles. You have an amazing little person who is such a blessing! Happy one-and-a-halfth birthday Annabanana!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete